MY WORLD

MY WORLD

Saturday, October 4, 2008

"Bye Bye Binky, Love You"

So our house is officially binky free!! YAY! (i hope)
On Thursday Sami bit through her binky before her nap. So after going through all her aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents asking if each could "fis it" and me saying "no sorry" which resulted in a resounding "OOOooohh" she finally decided that we needed to throw it away. So she took her binky walked it to the garbage can, gently placed it in and said "bye bye binky, luv u" (which broke my heart into a million pieces!!) then she went down for her nap almost as usual . . . only 5 minutes later as I was dialing her dad to tell him the news she realized she didn't have a binky and decided she "needed it" so she cried for 10 minutes and due to pure exhaustion finally fell asleep! Now I'm not used to my child needing to cry herself to sleep. since she was about 10 months old she's been laid down in bed wrapped in her "woobie" with her moose by her face and goes to sleep. So this sudden need for bedtime attention is really starting to wear on me and its only been 3 nights. (It doesn't help that my reinforcement is up in the mountains somewhere trying to kill a defenseless animal. ;)) The first night her dad sat with her in her room and all she needed was to ask a few times if daddy was still there. Last night I held her for a bit and she fell asleep in my arms. Tonight I tried the same thing for about 5 minutes with no progression towards falling asleep, and since I am the patient person that i am, 5 minutes was enough for me and I finally just laid her in bed, patted her back, gave her a kiss, told her I loved her and I'd see her in the morning and let her cry for a few minutes before falling asleep (i think she's asleep, she's at least stopped crying for about the last 3 minutes).
My problem is that I really don't want her getting used to me rocking her to sleep again. I mean i love to hold my baby but she's almost 2 and I've really gotten used to this bedtime routine being over and done in 10 minutes, so I can have my "adult time". Any advice? I feel like a bad mom that doesn't want to snuggle with her 27lb 2 year old for more than 5 minutes this close to bedtime1(?)
So, this is I am these days. No husband and No binky. If i would've planned better I would not have had the two happen over the same weekend. My only consolation is that its conference weekend so I only have to get up and watch conference, not get ready and go to church. :)
wish me luck, and only tell me personal stories if they result in your child being over it after the 3rd night. j/k :)

1 comment:

shreevit2beaver said...

I wish I had some great advice to give you but I don't sorry. I haven't had to deal with that yet. But I would say don't feel bad about not rocking her to sleep everynight. She will be just fine. You are a great mom. Sammi is so cute.